Pet Fun Facts
- A cat can jump as much as seven times its height!
- Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds while dogs only have about ten.
- Cats have better memories than dogs. Tests at the University of Michigan showed that a dog's memory lasts no more than 5 minutes while a cat's can last as long as 16 hours!
- Studies show that people with pets live longer, have less stress, and fewer health problems.
- A dog named Laikia became the world's first astronaut in 1957, when she was sent into space by the Russian government.
- Ever wondered why dogs scratch the ground after going to the bathroom? Although thought to be a way of covering up their doings, it is actually a way of further marking their territory after they pee or poop. Dogs have scent glands in their paw pads and the act of scratching helps to mark their territory. This action is predominantly a trait of intact males, but neutered males, and occasionally females, will be seen doing this too!
- Ever wondered if dogs dream? Like humans, dogs have the same types of sleep, slow wave sleep (SWS) and rapid eye movement (REM). SWS is the first stage of sleep and REM is when the body is relaxed and the eyes move rapidly. It's during this REM stage that dogs can dream. The twitching and
paw movements that occur during their sleep are signs that your pet is dreaming.
- Ever wondered if dogs have super-power night vision? Dog's don't actually have night vision. Instead, their eyes contain a special membrane that allows them to see in the dark. This membrane is called the tapetum lucidum. When car headlights or a flashlight is directed at a cat or dog, it is this eye structure that reflects this light. Cats however, can concentrate small amounts of light in their eyes, which allows them to see at night when the rest of us have difficulty. This special talent gives them their extraordinary night hunting vision.
If you have any questions or concerns about your pet, please contact us at Chestermere Veterinary Clinic 403-272-3573, email@example.com.
Like us on Facebook!