Every year thousands of dogs and cats ingest poisonous or harmful substances. The best way to avoid this is knowing what substances are poisonous or harmful, and poison proofing your home. You can even prepare a pet poison first aid kit, as a “just in case” back up! Visit http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/pet-owners/basics/pet-poison-first-aid-kit/ to see how to assemble your kit, but remember to always speak with a poison control specialist or veterinarian before administering any of the therapies at home, since different poisons will require different remedies.
You can also search toxic foods and plants online at the Pet Poison Helpline. If your pet has ingested anything you are concerned about, contact Chestermere Veterinary Clinic: 403-272-3573 or the pet poison helpline: 1-800-213-6680 (24 hours, 7 days a week) http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com immediately.
Be sure to have ready information such as: what you think your pet ingested (it may be helpful to have the container, if applicable, so you can read the information off to the vet), when you think your pet ingested the item, and approximately how much was ingested.
Symptoms following ingestion may include but are not limited to: muscle paralysis, nervous system malfunction, fatality, irritation of stomach and intestines, dizziness, increased heart rate, vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, convulsions, depression, weakened heart beat, intense burning in the mouth esophagus or stomach, stupor, skin inflammation, stomach or intestine ulceration, profuse salivation, tongue swelling and suffocation, excitement, breathing distress, coma, weakness, collapse, staggering, tingling, numbness, vision impairment or blindness, abdominal cramps, drowsiness, blisters, pupil dilation, headaches, elevated blood pressure.
If you have further questions please call us at Chestermere Veterinary Clinic 403-272-3573 or visit us at http://www.chestermerevet.com.